Facts about Bifidobacterium, BB-12®
- Identified as Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis
- Originates from Chr. Hansen's culture collection
- BB-12® is a registered trademark of Chr. Hansen A/S
- Used worldwide since 1985 as an ingredient in food and dietary supplements, with no reported consumer illness or injury
- Tested in clinical studies in persons ranging from new-born preterm infants to the elderly in doses up to at least 100 billion CFU/day, with no reported serious adverse event
The world’s best documented Bifidobacterium
Used in food and dietary supplements since 1985, described in more than 3071 scientific publications and backed by more than 1801 clinical studies, Bifidobacterium, BB-12®, is the world’s best documented Bifidobacterium.
Bifidobacterium, BB-12® has received a Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) status by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the US. In Europe, Bifidobacterium animalis has been granted Qualified Presumption of Safety (QPS) status since 2007 by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) - a status granted on species level.
The large number of clinical studies and scientific publications indicate that the bifidobacterium, BB-12® probiotic strain – alone or in combination with other of our probiotic strains – may have beneficial effects regarding the gastrointestinal and immune areas.
Alone, the bifidobacterium, BB-12® probiotic strain:
- May reduce the risk of an upset stomach2
- May enhance the immune response3
- May reduce respiratory tract challenges4
- May support bowel function5
- May reduce crying, fussiness and irritability in infants6
Combined, the bifidobacterium, BB-12® and LA-5® probiotic strains:
- May reduce the duration of stomach upset7
- May support the re-colonization of the intestinal microbiota8
Nothing on this page is meant to be perceived as an approved claim.
We offer Bifidobacterium (BB-12®) for dietary supplements, infant formula and fermented milk products. Please contact us for more information about the probiotic strain.
1 As of February 2016
2 Chouraqui et al. 2004; Saavedra et al. 1994)
3 Holscher et al. 2012; Rizzardini et al. 2012; Schiffrin et al. 1997
4 Smith et al. 2013; Taipale et al. 2011
5 Matsumoto et al. 2001; Murakami et al. 2006; Nishida et al. 2004; Pitkälä et al. 2007; Uchida et al. 2005
6 Saavedra et al. 2004
7 Chatterjee et al. 2013; de Vrese et al. 2011
8 Nord et al. 1997