About ISTILOS™ B. infantis
- The probiotic strain ISTILOS™ B. infantis was isolated from the intestine of a healthy infant.
- It is safe for consumption, the species has a QPS (Qualified Presumption of Safety) status in Europe. The ISTILOS™ B. infantis strain has been notified as GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe), with "no questions" from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in March 2021 (GRN no. 950).
- It has been used since the early 2000s as an ingredient in food and food supplements.
- The benefits of this strain have been known for decades, supported by high-quality clinical studies.
- In 2023, Bifidobacterium longum subsp. infantis, Bifin02™* was trademarked with the commercial name ISTILOS™ B. infantis.
Clinically demonstrated health benefits
As part of a three-strain blend investigated in clinical trials and pre-clinical studies, ISTILOS™ B. infantis was shown to:
- Seed and thrive in the infant gut1
- Produce metabolites that are known to be involved in the development of the immune system and support gut barrier function1,2
Clinical studies involving ISTILOS™ B. infantis
The probiotic strain ISTILOS™ has been demonstrated to effectively colonize the infant gut in a recent clinical trial and produce metabolites known to help develop the immune system and support gut barrier function.1, 2
In an open-label trial1, 23 newborns received a three-strain blend containing ISTILOS™ B. infantis, Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis, BB-12®, and L. rhamnosus LGG® for 28 days. The ISTILOS™ strain was detected in the stool of all the newborns in increasing quantities even after supplementation ceased, demonstrating that the probiotic strain ISTILOS™ could seed and thrive in the gut of these infants.
Strict production requirements ensure the highest quality
In general, when delivering products intended for infant use Chr. Hansen has implemented the strictest of production processes. Chr. Hansen’s extra requirements include extended contaminant testing and stricter requirements regarding both environmental monitoring and cleaning before production to eliminate the risk of contamination.
ISTILOS™, BB-12® and TH-4® are registered trademarks of Chr. Hansen A/S
* Naming history
The probiotic strain ISTILOS™ B. infantis has been or is known by the following names:
- Bifidobacterium longum subsp. infantis, Bifin02™ (DSM33361)
- Bifidobacterium infantis, BB-02 (DSM 33361)
1 Melsaether C, et al. Nutrients. 2023;15(18): 4000.
2 Internal Chr. Hansen data, 2023 (soon to be published)
This communication is only intended for business-to-business and health care professionals. This communication is not intended for consumers of final consumer goods. Nothing on this page is meant to be perceived as an approved claim.