Progress across all business areas and strategic initiatives underlines the strength of our 2025 strategy
“The encouraging start to the year with organic growth of 9% and progress across all business areas and strategic initiatives underlines the strength of our 2025 strategy, differentiating us as a bioscience company focused on microbial and fermentation technology platforms. Food Cultures & Enzymes continued its strong momentum in the first quarter, while Health & Nutrition delivered a strong rebound following a Q4 that fell short of expectations. EBIT b.s.i. developed favorably at 7% growth, despite the impact from inflation and a general increase in activities as we reconnected with customers. The EBIT margin b.s.i. was down compared to last year due to the full inclusion of the HMO activities. We maintain our outlook for the full year,” states CEO Mauricio Graber.
Q1 2021/22 highlights
- Revenue amounted to EUR 268 million, up 10% from EUR 243 million in Q1 2020/21.
- Organic growth was 9% driven by volume growth. The Lighthouses (Bioprotection, Fermented Plant Bases, Plant Health and HMO) delivered 35% organic growth combined, while the remaining Core businesses delivered 7% organic growth.
- Food Cultures & Enzymes organic growth was 7% driven by volume.
- Health & Nutrition organic growth was 13% driven by volume.
- EBIT b.s.i. amounted to EUR 65 million, up 7% from EUR 61 million in Q1 2020/21. The increase was driven by Food Cultures & Enzymes, while EBIT b.s.i. in Health and Nutrition was at the Q1 2020/21 level due to a negative impact from Jennewein (HMO), which was only partly reflected in Q1 2020/21 (acquisition was closed on October 9, 2020).
- The EBIT margin b.s.i. was 24.4%, down from 25.2% in Q1 2020/21. Production efficiencies and scalability effects from the solid sales performance were offset by higher input costs not yet reflected in the sales prices, a general ramp- up of activities including travel, and the full inclusion of HMO.
- Implementation of price adjustments to reflect the current inflationary pressure is progressing as planned in close collaboration with our customers and is expected to have an effect from Q2 onwards.
- Free cash flow before acquisitions and special items (b.a.s.i.) amounted to EUR 55 million, up EUR 62 million from Q1 2020/21. The increase was due to both an improved cash flow from operating activities and lower operational investing activities.
- Bacthera entered into an agreement with Seres Therapeutics for the commercial manufacturing of SER-109, a potential treatment against recurrent C. difficile infection.
- Chr. Hansen launched its science-based climate targets to reduce its carbon footprint towards 2030.
The outlook for 2021/22 remains unchanged from the original guidance provided on October 14, 2021:
- Organic growth is expected in the range of 5-8%.
- EBIT margin before special items is expected to be 27-28%.
- Free cash flow before special items is expected to be around EUR 140-170 million.
Read the full interim report here
A Chr. Hansen é uma empresa de biociência global e diferenciada, que desenvolve soluções com ingredientes naturais para as indústrias alimentícia, nutricional, farmacêutica e agrícola. Na Chr. Hansen, estamos em uma posição privilegiada para impulsionar mudanças positivas por meio de nossas soluções microbianas. Há mais de 145 anos, nós trabalhamos para possibilitar uma agricultura sustentável, uma melhor alimentação e uma vida mais saudável para mais pessoas em todo o mundo. Nossas plataformas de tecnologia microbiana e de fermentação, que incluem nossa ampla e relevante coleção de cerca de 40 mil cepas microbianas, têm um potencial revolucionário. Atendendo às necessidades dos clientes e às tendências globais, nós continuamos a desbloquear o poder das bactérias boas para responder aos desafios globais, como o desperdício de alimentos, a saúde global e o uso excessivo de pesticidas e antibióticos. Como a empresa de biotecnologia mais sustentável do mundo, nós tocamos a vida de mais de 1 bilhão de pessoas todos os dias. Impulsionados por nosso legado de inovação e curiosidade pela ciência pioneira, nosso objetivo “To grow a better world. Naturally.” está no centro de tudo que fazemos.