Progress across all business areas and strategic initiatives underlines the strength of our 2025 strategy
“The encouraging start to the year with organic growth of 9% and progress across all business areas and strategic initiatives underlines the strength of our 2025 strategy, differentiating us as a bioscience company focused on microbial and fermentation technology platforms. Food Cultures & Enzymes continued its strong momentum in the first quarter, while Health & Nutrition delivered a strong rebound following a Q4 that fell short of expectations. EBIT b.s.i. developed favorably at 7% growth, despite the impact from inflation and a general increase in activities as we reconnected with customers. The EBIT margin b.s.i. was down compared to last year due to the full inclusion of the HMO activities. We maintain our outlook for the full year,” states CEO Mauricio Graber.
Q1 2021/22 highlights
- Revenue amounted to EUR 268 million, up 10% from EUR 243 million in Q1 2020/21.
- Organic growth was 9% driven by volume growth. The Lighthouses (Bioprotection, Fermented Plant Bases, Plant Health and HMO) delivered 35% organic growth combined, while the remaining Core businesses delivered 7% organic growth.
- Food Cultures & Enzymes organic growth was 7% driven by volume.
- Health & Nutrition organic growth was 13% driven by volume.
- EBIT b.s.i. amounted to EUR 65 million, up 7% from EUR 61 million in Q1 2020/21. The increase was driven by Food Cultures & Enzymes, while EBIT b.s.i. in Health and Nutrition was at the Q1 2020/21 level due to a negative impact from Jennewein (HMO), which was only partly reflected in Q1 2020/21 (acquisition was closed on October 9, 2020).
- The EBIT margin b.s.i. was 24.4%, down from 25.2% in Q1 2020/21. Production efficiencies and scalability effects from the solid sales performance were offset by higher input costs not yet reflected in the sales prices, a general ramp- up of activities including travel, and the full inclusion of HMO.
- Implementation of price adjustments to reflect the current inflationary pressure is progressing as planned in close collaboration with our customers and is expected to have an effect from Q2 onwards.
- Free cash flow before acquisitions and special items (b.a.s.i.) amounted to EUR 55 million, up EUR 62 million from Q1 2020/21. The increase was due to both an improved cash flow from operating activities and lower operational investing activities.
- Bacthera entered into an agreement with Seres Therapeutics for the commercial manufacturing of SER-109, a potential treatment against recurrent C. difficile infection.
- Chr. Hansen launched its science-based climate targets to reduce its carbon footprint towards 2030.
The outlook for 2021/22 remains unchanged from the original guidance provided on October 14, 2021:
- Organic growth is expected in the range of 5-8%.
- EBIT margin before special items is expected to be 27-28%.
- Free cash flow before special items is expected to be around EUR 140-170 million.
Read the full interim report here
科 汉森是一家全球性且具备差异化的生物科技公司，为食品行业、营养行业、制药行业和畜牧业开发天然原料的解决方案。 在科 汉森，我们拥有独特的优势，可通过微生物解决方案推动积极的变革。 在过去超过 145 年的时间里，我们致力于实现可持续的农业、更好的食品以及让全世界更多的人过上更健康的生活。 我们的微生物和发酵技术平台拥有改变规则的潜力，库存广泛且价值重大，包括约 40,000 种微生物菌株。 除了适应客户需求和全球趋势外，我们还将挖掘释放有益菌的力量，以应对食物浪费、全球健康以及抗生素和杀虫剂滥用等全球挑战。 作为全世界最具可持续性的生物技术公司，我们每天影响超过 10 亿人的生活。 受我们的创新传统与对前沿科学的求知驱动，公司宗旨“To grow a better world. Naturally.”体现在我们的所有工作中。