This probiotic strain has been studied as a stand-alone strain as well as a blend. Through several human studies, this strain has documented benefits for children and adults alike. Covering areas from respiratory and skin health to digestive and immune support, Bifidobacterium, UABla-12™ (hereafter referred to as the trademark UABla-12™) has a history of success and a future of possibilities.
With a history of successful scientific studies, the UABla-12™ strain continues to be a go-to strain. Most recently, the UABla-12™ strain was part of a unique, parallel-arm study designed to assess the effect of specific Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium strains on gastrointestinal health.1 The positive outcome of the study adds to its already widespread list of digestive and immune support functions.
Health benefits associated with strain
As a stand-alone strain, the UABla-12™ strain has been shown in a study to:
- Assist with overall digestive health and comfort1
- Support stool frequency1
- Support healthy stool patterns and normal bowel movements1
- Help support normal bowel habits1
- Support bowel movement comfort1
- Potentially reduce occasional bloating1
- Potentially help improve quality of life as impacted by digestive health.1
When combined with Lactobacillus acidophilus, DDS®-1, at the appropriate amount, the blend has been shown in studies in children to help:
- Provide skin health support2
- Support immune health2, 3
- Support respiratory tract health3
- Promote optimal health in children2, 3
- Support fewer missed school days.3
In a four-strain blend, the strain UABla-12™ played an important role in two studies helping to:
- Support digestive health4, 5
- Help support normal bowel habits4
- Maintain regularity and promote gut comfort4
- Contribute to reducing abdominal discomfort and bloating.5
Level of scientific documentation
Clinical study, primary objective: contribute to reducing abdominal discomfort.
Alleviate abdominal discomfort
During a recent digestive health study, the primary objective of abdominal discomfort reduction, which is the key driver of health-related quality of life, was achieved in subjects receiving the strain UABla-12™ as compared to placebo. Overall discomfort reduction of 21.6% was reported at week six with statistical significance (p<0.001).3
Clinical study, secondary objective: regular bowel movements
In the same digestive health study, subjects receiving the probiotics reported normal stool consistency and improved regularity based on the Pearson Chi Square test. The UABla-12™ probiotic strain showed statistical significance through six weeks with a 18% change (p<0.022).3
1 Martoni et al. Nutrients 2020.
2 Gerasimov et al. Am J Clin Dermatol 2010.
3 Gerasimov et al. Eur J Clin Nutr 2016.
4 Martoni et al. J Dig Dis 2019.
5 Nagala et al. US Gastroenterol Hepatol Rev 2011.
UABla-12™ and DDS®-1 are trademarks of Chr. Hansen A/S.
This communication is only intended for business-to-business and health care professionals. This communication is not intended for consumers of final consumer goods. Nothing on this page is meant to be perceived as an approved claim.