It seems as if the UHT milk industry has a general hesitation to convert from synthetic to natural colors, due to the following questions:
- Are natural colors able to resist the UHT conditions?
- Will natural colors be stable throughout shelf-life?
- Are natural colors stable at ambient conditions?
Chr. Hansen’s solution
The conclusions from our recent realistic-conditions study clearly indicate that the above concerns are unwarranted. We do have both natural colors and coloring-foodstuff products able to provide the desired technical performance:
- Excellent color stability during ultra-heat treatment and throughout a shelf-life up to one year
- Unique shades
- The full range covers shades and flavors such as mint, green tea, pistachio, banana, vanilla, mango, orange, peach, strawberry, coffee, chocolate and caramel
- Strong alternative to artificial colors
The benefits of our UHT Milk product range
Converting to natural colors lets you embrace the global, consumer-driven trend.
Recently, in collaboration with consumer analyst Nielsen, we performed a major consumer survey. The market survey included 10 markets (USA, Mexico, Brazil, UK, France, Poland, Russia, India, China and Australia) and 5,000 interviews (10 x 500).
The main conclusions were:
- 86% of consumer follow news stories about food colors scores ranged from 70% to 99% between markets
- 92% of consumer are concerned about synthetic food colors scores ranged from 81% to 99% between markets
- 55% expect an increase in the use of natural food colors
- Most consumers have noticed food color claims
- Women appear to be slightly more receptive to food color claims
- 88% of consumer believe that natural colors add value scores ranged from 78% to 95% between markets
- Natural food colors can add value to many product categories